Pretty Polymer Clay Swirly Bowls
The girls and I stayed up last night making these beautiful bowls. I’m looking at them right now and can hardly believe we made them ourselves! We wanted to make something for the grandmas, aunts, and cousins we’ll be seeing here on Christmas. They turned out so pretty I’m sure the girls will want to keep one for themselves as well.
All you need for this project is a few colors of oven bake clay a.k.a. Sculpey, a work area, a sharp knife, some oven safe bowls, and some metallic gold paint or a gold paint pen.
What I love most about this project is the less perfect you are in crafting these bowls, the prettier they come out. We had a lot of fun coming up with sea shell looking versions and different sizes mainly by trial and error. We used varying sizes of bowls, probably not all officially oven safe, but were careful handling the hot bowls.
Here are the steps to making these beautiful marbled clay bowls.
- Preheat Oven to 275 degrees Farenhiet
- Cut small pieces of 2 two 3 colors of clay and roll into a ball about 1/2 big with a sharp knife
- Roll the ball into logs
- Do the same with 2 pieces of white clay
- Add one last piece of either gray or black
- Lay the rolls next to each other and twist in opposite directions from the ends
- Bring the ends together and do the twisting again
- Do this whole process one more time
- Smoosh into a ball
- Flatten the ball
- Roll out with a rolling pin
- Cut around the edge of a glass or bowl
- Gently place in an oven safe bowl and press down lightly to form a bowl shape
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes
- Let cool 5 minutes
- Remove from baking bowl
- Let cool completely
- Paint rim of bowl with gold
The girls and I like to do a craft every year before Christmas during their time off school. It’s a great way to bond and making gifts for others helps gets them in a giving spirit. Last year we made silly, fun emoji ornaments with the same polymer clay and paint pens.
What do you think about these pretty bowls? They are the perfect size to have at your bedside table to store earrings, and other small treasures. Would you like to make one? Would you like to have one? Do you know someone who would appreciate getting one as a gift? Let me know in the Comments – I would love to hear from you! 😍 – Bita